Friday, August 19, 2016

beachnik

3/4 oz Lemon Juice
3/4 oz Licor 43
1/2 oz Barenjager
1 1/2 oz Light Puerto Rican Rum (1 oz Caliche Rum + 1/2 oz Cuca Cresca Cachaça)

Blend 5 seconds with 8 oz crushed ice and pour into a Pilsner glass (shake with ice, strain into a Tiki mug, and fill with crushed ice).

Two Saturdays ago, I decided to make one of the drinks in Beachbum Berry's Remixed, the Beachnik, that I had skipped over previously. However, when it had popped up on someone else's Instagram, I figured that it was worth a try putting my dusty bottles of Licor 43 and Barenjager to work. I figured that this 2004 creation was a reference to Beachbum Berry; however, the term "beachnik" certainly dates back to at least 1960 given H. Allen Smith's Waikiki Beachnik book as a hybrid of beachbum and beatnik.
The Beachnik presented a mint and floral aroma from the garnishes I added that might have masked the rather honey aroma that I detected while shaking the drink. The honey did appear on the sip where it mingled with the lemon, and the swallow offered a pleasant combination of rum, vanilla, and spice.

No comments: