Wednesday, August 17, 2016

lost u-boat

2 oz Plantation Dark Rum
1/2 oz Lime Juice
1/2 oz Grapefruit Juice
1/2 oz Jagermeister
1/2 oz St. Elder Elderflower Liqueur
2 dash Angostura Bitters
4 drop Orange Blossom Water

Shake with ice, strain into a Tiki mug, fill with crushed ice, and garnish with mint sprigs.

After Brick & Mortar, I went home to develop a drink for a reporter's request for a Jagermeister drink to tie in with the Deer Garden part of their Tales of the Cocktail article. As a start, I thought about how elderflower liqueur pairs rather well with dark herbal liqueurs such as in the Valkyrie, and I opted for using the Jet Pilot as a recipe skeleton. Perhaps I was swayed by how well St. Elder worked in my Madeira Jet Pilot, the Navigator. Working off of the German ingredient and Tiki themes, I thought the Lost U-Boat would work (although perhaps Lost U-Boat Captain might have been more parallel of a name to the Jet Pilot).
The Lost U-Boat shared a mint nose that led into a caramel, lime, and grapefruit sip. Next, the rum shone through on the swallow along with dark spice and floral notes.

No comments: