Monday, December 4, 2017

new dawn fades

1 1/2 oz Macchu Pisco
1/2 oz Persimmon Syrup (*)
1/2 oz Amaro Montenegro
1/2 oz Lime Juice
1 dash Regan's Orange Bitters

Shake with ice, strain into a glass, and garnish with an orange twist.
(*) Two persimmon sliced and added to a pot with 1 cup of sugar and 1 cup of water. Bring to a boil, simmer covered 20 minutes, let cool, blend, and strain through a tea towel.
While shopping at Trader Joe's in preparation for my Cocktail Lab night at Earl's Prudential two weeks ago, I spotted the display of persimmons and thought that this fruit's melon and peach notes would work rather well in a drink. A quick Google search confirmed that the idea was a sound one and also provided me hints on how to transform it into a syrup. Once the syrup was prepared, my mind quickly went to the earthy notes in pisco, and I thought about supplementing the fruit aspect with either Aperol or Amaro Montenegro. Montenegro ended up adding more complementary notes as well as a delightful citrus-herbal complexity to the mix. For a name, I kept with the Joy Division song title theme and went with New Dawn Fades given how persimmons reminded me of the color of a rising or setting sun, and I garnished with a moon sliver-esque orange twist.

No comments: